Our Full-Service Team Of Attorneys Are Here For You

Serving Clients Who Need A Special Needs Trust

Bequeathing assets to a person with a disability, mental illness or other special needs through typical wills and trusts could jeopardize his or her access to government benefits. With help from an experienced lawyer, you can instead establish a special needs trust.

At Brodkey, Cuddigan, Peebles, Belmont & Line, LLP, we have extensive experience with special needs trusts, whether both parties are in Nebraska or if one is out of state. We can assist you through the process of drafting documents, gaining approval from the federal and state government, and administrating the funds to the beneficiary.

Special Needs Planning From Experienced Estate Planning Attorneys

Special needs trusts, also called supplemental needs trusts, are designed specifically for disabled or mentally ill beneficiaries. These trusts allow the beneficiary to continue to receive Social Security Disability or government benefits. Depending on the circumstances, the federal government allows for two types of special needs trusts:

  • Third-party trusts are established by the parents of an adult disabled child. Through this trust, you can provide money for extraordinary needs such as transportation not covered by Medicaid or Social Security.
  • Self-settled or first-party trusts allow those under age 65 to protect certain assets, such as a personal injury settlement, inheritance or lottery winnings, and still remain eligible for Medicaid and Social Security Disability.

Attorney Lisa Line has significant experience with estate planning, including special needs trusts. She has drafted trust documents for special needs trusts in Nebraska and throughout the country and represents several trust administrators in a variety of complex trust-related issues. She also has written several articles on matters related to special needs trusts.

Ask About A Special Needs Trust Today

To learn more about using a special needs trust, contact our team in Omaha. To set up an initial consultation, you can call us at 888-758-4931 or you can send us an email.